Friday, June 20, 2008

New Banner and Interview with Southernblood

Features...

I was poking around in the forums one day and saw a post for a free banner. I had never really had  a strong banner before, so I was interested. Sadly, the etsian never responded further to their post, but I did receive a convo from southernblood, who said they would create a free banner for me. They were so helpful and patient with me while I went though about three different styles till I saw the image I was hoping for! I wanted to return the favor by featuring southernblood on my blog for today!

Here is my interview with southernblood:

Where are you from?
The not-so-dirty south...Kentucky.

How long have you been on Etsy?
Southernblood has been registered only a few months...March, to be exact. It seems much longer than that. lol.

What types of things do you sell in your shop?Right now we only have some jewelry but we do screenprinted tees and have a lot of those coming soon. Interesting ones at that. It won't be long.

What is your favorite type of art/craft to make or create? 
Honestly, I love to paint and photography... I consider myself an impressionist of sorts. I actually am the solo feature in the Zeppelin Art Gallery, here in Kentucky - through July 31st.

You made a wonderful banner for my shop! If someone else would like to purchase a banner from you, what should they do?I just decided that I'm going to do ALL banners FREE of charge...and the real reason is I see it as a cycle. If Southernblood can help another shop; that shop purchases from another shop and makes a sale and so on and it only stimulates the "Etsy Economy" which in turn will promote my business and hopefully gain some sales along the way.

How long have you been creating art/jewelry?
I've been doing stuff ever since I can remember...in high school I used to make bracelets and patch peoples jeans with vintage fabric and make purses. I've been painting since I was 14 and photography since I was 16. I couldn't live without it.

I
see that you are a new shop. What have you found most helpful or what have you found that works the best for you to get your name out there and sell your items? Any tips for new sellers?
Well, obviously I haven't been overwhelmed with sales...which might be a good thing starting out. I want to have time to establish my name...but the most helpful things have been the great people in the forums...yes there are some weirdos and jerks but overall people have been kind and willing to offer information. I promote my shop by posting and browsing everyone else's so they get the views and hits too. I favorite a few along the way. Some things I may never purchase but my etsy favorites list makes a great wish list for people too.

My humble tips to new sellers are to focus more than anything on the name and photos of the products...to me names like "agate bracelet" or whatever, (no one in mind) is just too dull. It doesn't attract attention. Think creatively - associate your product with something that would appeal to your shoppers. For instance, I have an anchor button ring...and I could have just named it that...instead I titled it "Anchors Away." People think of the Naval song or an old movie. Photos make all the difference - yes it's hard...but go buy some interior decorating or gardening magazines and use those pages as a background. Use contrasting colors or complimentary ones. 

What is your favorite thing about Etsy?
Wow...this is tough...but honestly, the friendships I have established in a short time. Everyone is so kind. They're helpful and easy to contact and stay in contact with. It's what makes Etsy it's own little world that I can run to when I'm bored at work.
 

Wow... free banners? What could get better than that?! If you are interested in a banner, you can contact southernblood through their Etsy shop.

My favorite item from their shop is the Grape Soda Earrings (purple is my favorite color).

I am always looking for other shops to feature. I would love to hear your comments about my new banner and southernblood's Etsy shop! You never know... you just might be the next!

6 comments:

Southern Blood said...

i could not be more indebted to your gratefulness to feature me!!! how freakin awesome!!! i love it!!!
thank you thank you thank you!!! :D

and it's true! free banners!!!

Lisa Abdul-Quddus said...

Very nice feature and a generous offer of free banners.:)

Lisa Abdul-Quddus said...

...and your banner looks great!

Jamie said...

I love the new banner! Showcase those rainbow crayons. Also, today your blog loaded just as fast as others...maybe the new banner is the special key for me!

Kelly said...

Nice feature! I was referred so I stopped by for a looksie!

Linda B said...

I'd love to be featured. And, I can interview you, also.

Linda Blatchford
www.lindab142.etsy.com
http://linorstorecom.blogspot.com
http://linorstore.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails